Category: Associated History

Oatman

OATMAN The name Oatman was chosen in honor of Olive Oatman, a young Illinois girl who was captured and enslaved by Indians, probably from the Tolkepayas tribe, during her pioneer family’s massacre going their journey westward in 1851. She was later sold or traded to the Mohave, who adopted her and tattooed her face in …

Read more

Grand Canyon National Park

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK A steep-sided canyon carved by the Colorado River in Arizona, United States. The Grand Canyon is 277 miles (446 km) long, up to 18 miles (29 km) wide and attains a depth of over a mile.The canyon and adjacent rim are contained within Grand Canyon National Park, the Kaibab National Forest, …

Read more

Wupatki National Monument

WUPTAKI NATIONAL MONUMENT The many settlement sites scattered throughout the monument were built by the Ancient Pueblo People, more specifically the Cohonina, Kayenta Anasazi, and Sinagua. Wupatki was first inhabited around 500 AD. Wupatki, which means “Tall House” in the Hopi language, is a multistory Sinagua pueblo dwelling comprising over 100 rooms and a community …

Read more

Walnut Canyon National Monument

WALNUT CANYON NATIONAL MONUMENT Sinagua is Spanish for “without water,” an acknowledgement that the Sinagua people were able to live in such a dry region. By living in such a region the Sinagua became experts at conserving water and dealing with droughts. The Sinagua were also believed to have been active traders whose activities and …

Read more

Coconino

COCONINO COUNTY After European Americans completed the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad in 1883, the region of northern Yavapai County began to undergo rapid growth. The people of the northern reaches had tired of the rigors of traveling to Prescott to conduct county business. They believed that they should have their own county jurisdiction, so petitioned in 1887 for secession from Yavapai …

Read more

Petrified Forest National Park and Painted Desert

PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL PARK AND PAINTED DESERT The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees that lived in the Late Triassic Epoch, about 225 million years ago. The sediments containing the fossil logs are part of the widespread and colorful Chinle Formation, from which the Painted Desert gets its name. Beginning about …

Read more

Arizona National Parks Monuments and Forests

ARIZONA NATIONAL PARKS, MONUMENTS, AND FORESTS The United States has 63 protected areas designated and known as national parks and 129 protected areas known as national monuments. National Parks must be established by an act of the United States Congress. The president of the United States can establish a national monument by presidential proclamation, and the United States Congress can …

Read more

Mammoth Lakes

MAMMOTH LAKES The Mono people were the first settlers of the Mammoth Lakes area, thousands of years ago. The European history of Mammoth Lakes started in 1877, when four prospectors staked a claim on Mineral Hill, south of the current town, along Old Mammoth Road. In 1878, the Mammoth Mining Company was organized to mine …

Read more

Griffith Park

GRIFFITH PARK Griffith Park is a large municipal park and covers 4,310 acres, making it one of the largest urban parks in North America. The park features a number of popular attractions such as the Los Angeles Zoo, the Autry Museum of the American West, the Griffith Observatory, and most notably, the Hollywood Sign. Due …

Read more

Lake Tahoe National Forest

LAKE TAHOE NATIONAL FOREST Tahoe National Forest is a United States National Forest located in California, northwest of Lake Tahoe. It includes the 8,587ft peak of Sierra Buttes, near Sierra City, which has views of Mount Lassen and Mount Shasta. It is located in parts of six counties: Sierra, Placer, Nevada, Yuba, Plumas and El …

Read more

Truckee

TRUCKEE – JEWEL OF THE EASTERN SIERRAS First known as Gray’s Toll Station, then Coburn’s Station, Truckee was established in 1863. Renowned for its lumber industry, Transcontinental Railroad, icehouses, saloons and red light district, Truckee has never been known for her laid back demeanor. It has always been a town where people came to entertain …

Read more

Volcano (#29)

VOLCANO The spot was discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men, who mined Soldiers Gulch in 1849. By 1853 the flats and gulches swarmed with men who named them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in 1855, brought thousands of fortune seekers to form a town of 17 hotels, a library, a theater, and courts of quick …

Read more

Town of Dutch Flats (#397)

TOWN OF DUTCH FLATS Founded in the spring of 1851 by Joseph and Charles Dornback, from 1854 to 1882 Dutch Flat was noted for its rich hydraulic mines. In 1860 it had the largest voting population in Placer County, Chinese inhabitants numbered about 2,000. Here Theodore Judah and D. W. Strong made the original subscription …

Read more

Emerald Bay

EMERALD BAY STATE PARK (AT LAKE TAHOE) Emerald Bay State Park is a state park of California in the United States, centered on Lake Tahoe’s Emerald Bay, a National Natural Landmark. Park features include Eagle Falls and Vikingsholm, a 38-room mansion that is considered one of the finest examples of Scandinavian architecture in the United …

Read more

Old Sacramento (#600) (#812)

OLD SACRAMENTO Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter’s Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 1839. State capital since 1854, during the gold rush it was a major distribution point, a commercial and agricultural center, and terminus for wagon train, stagecoach, riverboat, telegraph, …

Read more

Black Chasm

BLACK CHASM While Black Chasm Cavern was likely known about by the local Miwok people who existed in this area long before the gold rush, the first documented exploration occurred in 1854 when a group of explorers braved the unknown to discover the phenomenal beauty that exists below the surface including a bright blue lake …

Read more

Tallac

POPE-BALDWIN ESTATE at TALLAC The home was originally built by Lloyd Tevis, former president of Wells Fargo Bank, in the 1880s. The Tevis and Pope families used the home and grounds as a summer vacation spot. The grounds contain several servants cabins and the main dwelling is constructed entirely of wood and shingle-clad sidings. Related …

Read more

Marklees Cabin Site (#240)

MARKLEE’S CABIN SITE Jacob J. Marklee recorded his land claim of 160 acres on June 23, 1862, in Douglas County, Nevada, but after the boundary survey his claim was in California. During the rush to the Comstock Lode, the town of Markleeville was built upon Marklee’s land – the Alpine County Courthouse now occupies the …

Read more

City of Auburn (#404)

CITY OF AUBURN Gold was discovered near here by Claude Chana on May 16, 1848. First known as “North Fork” or “Woods Dry Diggins,” the settlement was given the name Auburn in the fall of 1849. It soon became an important mining town, trading post, and stage terminal, and also became the county seat of …

Read more

State Indian Museum (#991)

STATE INDIAN MUSEUM The State Indian Museum was built fifty years ago as California’s first state-run museum devoted to Indian cultures. It continues to serve the same purpose today, displaying an updated (1984) major exhibit on California’s Indian peoples. Designation:• State Historical Site (991)Visited: 11/13/2020Location: MapWebsite: N/A

Read more

Sutters Fort (#525)

SUTTER’S FORT John Augustus Sutter, born of Swiss parents in Germany, arrived in New York in July 1834 and in California in July 1839. He founded the fort in 1839 to protect ‘New Helvetia,’ his 76-square-mile Mexican land grant. Of the original fort, the two-story central building, made of adobe and oak, remains, the fort’s …

Read more

Town of Gold Run (#405)

TOWN OF GOLD RUN Originally called Mountain Springs, Gold Run was founded in 1854 by O. W. Hollenbeck. It was famed for its hydraulic mines, which from 1865 to 1878 shipped $6,125,000 in gold. Five water ditches passed through the town to serve the mining companies, but they had to cease operations in 1882 when …

Read more

Stanford Lathrop House (#614)

STANFORD-LATHROP HOUSE The house was originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the state executive office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capitol. It was later extensively remodeled and enlarged. In 1900 Jane Lathrop Stanford gave the house to the …

Read more