Category: State Historic Landmark

Illinois State Designated Historic Sites by County

ILLINOIS STATE DESIGNATED HISTORIC SITES and POINTS OF INTEREST (by COUNTY) Since 1966, the federal government National Register of Historic Places has designated important Illinois resources worthy of preservation. All of the 102 Illinois counties has at least one property or historic district listed in the National Register. The Illinois State Historic Preservation Office, a …

Read more

Volcano (#29)

VOLCANO The spot was discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men, who mined Soldiers Gulch in 1849. By 1853 the flats and gulches swarmed with men who named them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in 1855, brought thousands of fortune seekers to form a town of 17 hotels, a library, a theater, and courts of quick …

Read more

Town of Dutch Flats (#397)

TOWN OF DUTCH FLATS Founded in the spring of 1851 by Joseph and Charles Dornback, from 1854 to 1882 Dutch Flat was noted for its rich hydraulic mines. In 1860 it had the largest voting population in Placer County, Chinese inhabitants numbered about 2,000. Here Theodore Judah and D. W. Strong made the original subscription …

Read more

Old Sacramento (#600) (#812)

OLD SACRAMENTO Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter’s Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 1839. State capital since 1854, during the gold rush it was a major distribution point, a commercial and agricultural center, and terminus for wagon train, stagecoach, riverboat, telegraph, …

Read more

Marklees Cabin Site (#240)

MARKLEE’S CABIN SITE Jacob J. Marklee recorded his land claim of 160 acres on June 23, 1862, in Douglas County, Nevada, but after the boundary survey his claim was in California. During the rush to the Comstock Lode, the town of Markleeville was built upon Marklee’s land – the Alpine County Courthouse now occupies the …

Read more

City of Auburn (#404)

CITY OF AUBURN Gold was discovered near here by Claude Chana on May 16, 1848. First known as “North Fork” or “Woods Dry Diggins,” the settlement was given the name Auburn in the fall of 1849. It soon became an important mining town, trading post, and stage terminal, and also became the county seat of …

Read more

State Indian Museum (#991)

STATE INDIAN MUSEUM The State Indian Museum was built fifty years ago as California’s first state-run museum devoted to Indian cultures. It continues to serve the same purpose today, displaying an updated (1984) major exhibit on California’s Indian peoples. Designation:• State Historical Site (991)Visited: 11/13/2020Location: MapWebsite: N/A

Read more

Sutters Fort (#525)

SUTTER’S FORT John Augustus Sutter, born of Swiss parents in Germany, arrived in New York in July 1834 and in California in July 1839. He founded the fort in 1839 to protect ‘New Helvetia,’ his 76-square-mile Mexican land grant. Of the original fort, the two-story central building, made of adobe and oak, remains, the fort’s …

Read more

Town of Gold Run (#405)

TOWN OF GOLD RUN Originally called Mountain Springs, Gold Run was founded in 1854 by O. W. Hollenbeck. It was famed for its hydraulic mines, which from 1865 to 1878 shipped $6,125,000 in gold. Five water ditches passed through the town to serve the mining companies, but they had to cease operations in 1882 when …

Read more

Stanford Lathrop House (#614)

STANFORD-LATHROP HOUSE The house was originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the state executive office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capitol. It was later extensively remodeled and enlarged. In 1900 Jane Lathrop Stanford gave the house to the …

Read more

Sacramento City Cemetery (#566)

SACRAMENTO CITY CEMETERY Resting place of California pioneers, this cemetery was established in 1850. Many of the victims of the cholera epidemic of that year are buried here. Included among the graves of illustrious Californians are those of John Bigler, Newton Booth, and William Irwin, Governors of California, General George Wright, hero of the Mexican …

Read more

Overland Emigrant Trail (#799.2)

OVERLAND EMIGRANT TRAIL Over a hundred years ago, this trail resounded to creaking wheels of pioneer wagons and the cries of hardy travelers on their way to the gold fields. It is estimated that over thirty thousand people used this trail in 1849. Rocks near this site still bear the marks of wagon wheels. For …

Read more

Site of First County Free Library Branch in California (#817)

SITE OF FIRST COUNTY FREE LIBRARY BRANCH IN CALIFORNIA Through the efforts of Miss Harriet G. Eddy, then principal of Elk Grove Union High School, in 1908 Elk Grove acquired the first county free library branch in California. Subsequently, California’s county free library branch system has become one of the most outstanding in America. Designation:• State …

Read more

Vernon-Brannan House (#604)

VERNON-BRANNAN HOUSE Also known as “Site of the Sam Brannan House.” The existing building was built in 1854 as the Jones Hotel. It replaced a one-story building owned by Sam Brannan that held Sacramento’s first post office, but burned in 1852. The 1854 building became the founding site of the Sacramento Pioneer Association, and in …

Read more

Site of Mokelumne City (#162)

SITE OF MOKELUMNE CITY Established in 1850, its prospects were bright. The second largest town in the county, it had deep water communication with San Francisco all year round, an advantage not possessed by any other town in the county except Stockton. The floods of 1862 destroyed the town. Designation:• State Historical Site (162)Visited: 11/13/2020Location: MapWebsite: N/A

Read more

Pioneer Ski Area of America, Squaw Valley (#724)

PIONEER SKI AREA OF AMERICA, SQUAW VALLEY The VIII Olympic Winter Games of 1960 commemorated a century of sport skiing in California. By 1860 the Sierra Nevada-particularly at the mining towns of Whiskey Diggings, Poker Flat, Port Wine, Onion Valley, La Porte, and Johnsville, some 60 miles north of Squaw Valley-saw the first organized ski …

Read more

Sutter’s Landing (#591)

SUTTER’S LANDING Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time thereafter he established a permanent camp, and later built his fort. Sutter and his men …

Read more

Ophir (#463)

OPHIR Founded in 1849 as ‘The Spanish Corral,’ Ophir received its Biblical name in 1850 because of its rich placers. The most populous town in Placer County in 1852, polling 500 votes, Ophir was almost totally destroyed by fire in July 1853 but later became the center of quartz mining in the county. Designation:• State Historical …

Read more