SITE OF PUTNAM’S CABIN

In August 1861, Charles Putnam built the first cabin for permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County. The building, located 130 feet west of this site, served as a home, trading post, hospital, and ‘fort’ for early settlers, as well as a survival point for travelers. It became the center of the settlement of ‘Putnam’s’ which five years later took the name “Independence.”

Designation:
• State Historical Site (223)
Visited: 11/14/2015
LocationMap
Website: N/A