BALLAST POINT WHALING STATION SITE


Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities for a station to ‘try out’ or extract whale oil. Their operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government acquired the property for Fort Rosecrans and in 1873 whaling operations at Ballast Point ended.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (50)
Visited: 12/13/2014
LocationMap
Website: N/A