ALPINE COUNTY

 

COUNTY HISTORY AND MAP OF COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS

Alpine County was created on March 16, 1864, during a silver boom in the wake of the nearby Comstock Lode discovery. It was named because of its resemblance to the Swiss Alps. It was formed from parts of AmadorCalaverasEl DoradoMono & Tuolumne counties. 

At its formation, the County had a population of about 11,000 with its County Seat at Silver Mountain City. By 1868, however, the local silver mines had proven unfruitful; and the population fell to about 1,200. The County Seat was moved to Markleeville in 1875.

After the silver rush, Alpine County’s economy consisted almost entirely of farming, ranching, and logging. By the 1920s, the population had fallen to just 200 people. With the construction of the Bear Valley and Kirkwood ski resorts in the late 1960s, the population increased to the present level.


COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS (LIST)

#240: Marklee’s Cabin Site
#315: Kit Carson Marker
#318: Ebbetts Pass Route
#378: Memorial to Pioneed Odd Fellows
#661: Old Emigrant Road
#805: Pony Express Remount Station at Woodfords