COUNTY HISTORY AND MAP OF COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS
Calaveras County was one of the original counties of the state of California, created in 1850 at the time of admission to the Union. Parts of the county’s territory were reassigned to Amador County in 1854 and to Alpine County in 1864.
The county’s geography includes beautiful landmarks, rolling hills, and giant valleys. It is also known for its friendly communities, and businesses such as agriculture management and construction engineering. It has numerous caverns, such as Mercer Caverns, California Cavern and Moaning Cavern that are national destinations for tourists from across the country. Other attractions include a thriving wine making industry, including the largest of the Calaveras wineries: Ironstone Vineyards, mountain sports recreation and the performing arts.
Gold prospecting in Calaveras County began in late 1848 with a camp founded by Henry and George Angel. The brothers first arrived in California as soldiers, serving under Colonel Frémont during the Mexican War. After the war’s end, the brothers found themselves in Monterey where they heard of the fabulous finds in the gold fields. They joined the Carson-Robinson party of prospectors and set out for the mines. The company parted ways upon reaching what later became known as Angels Creek. The brothers tried placer mining but soon opened a trading post. By the end of the year, over one hundred tents were scattered about the creek and the settlement was referred to as Angels Trading Post, later shortened toAngels Camp.
Placer mining soon gave out around the camp, but an extensive gold-bearing quartz vein of the area’s Mother Lode was located by the Winter brothers during the mid-1850s, and this brought in the foundations of a permanent town. This vein followed Main Street from Angels Creek up to the southern edge of Altaville. Five major mines worked the rich vein: The Stickle, the Utica, the Lightner, the Angels, and the Sultana. These mines reached their peaks during the 1880s and 1890s, when over 200 stamp mills crushed quartz ore brought in by hand cars on track from the mines. By the time hard rock mining was done, the five mines had producing a total of over $20 million in gold.
The telluride mineral calaverite was first recognized and obtained in 1861 from the Stanislaus Mine, Carson Hill, Angels Camp, in Calaveras Co., California. It was named for the County of origin by chemist and mineralogist Frederick Augustus Genth who differentiated it from the known gold telluride mineral sylvanite, and formally reported it as a new gold mineral in 1868.
COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS (LIST)
#41: Big Bar
#251: Valley Sprints
#252: San Andreas
#253: Sandy Gulch
#256: I.O.O.F. Hall, Mokelumne Hill
#257: Campo Seco
#258: Fourth Crossing
#261: Congregational Church
#263: Stone Corral
#264: Double Springs
#265: Chili Gulch
#266: Jenny Lid
#267: Mitchler Hotel
#268: West Point
#269: Mokelumne Hill
#271: Pioneer Cemetery
#272: Douglas Flat
#274: Carson Hill
#276: Robinson’s Ferry
#280: Glencoe (Mosquito Gulch)
#281: O’Byrne Ferry
#282: El Dorado
#284: Jesus Maria
#286: Rail Road Flat
#287: Angels Camp
#370: Vallecito Bell Monument
#465: Olf Mining Camp of Brownsville
#466: The Peter L. Traver Building
#499: Red Brick Grammar School
#663: Courthouse of Calaveras County, 1852-1866, and Leger Hotel
#734: Angels Hotel
#735: Prince-Girabardi Building
#769: Birthplace of Archie Stevenot
#956: California Caverns at Cave City