Home » California » California State Historical Sites by County » Imperial » #194 Mountain Spring Station

Name: Mountain Spring Station
Site Number: #194
Date Visited: 02/18/2017
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 106 In-Ko-Pah Park Rd., Ocotillo, CA 92259
Coordinates32.6590503,-116.0999118
Website: N/A

Description: From 1862-70,  Peter Larkin and Joe Stancliff used a stone house about a mile north of here as a store from which ox teams pulled wagons up a 30% grade. The San Diego and Fort Yuma Turnpike Co. used the site as a toll road station until 1876. The crumbling house was replaced in 1917 by another still visible to its east. But road changes, beginning in 1878 and culminating in today’s highway, have left the older stone house ruins inaccessible.