Home » California » California State Historical Sites by County » Imperial » #806 Fort Yuma

Name: Fort Yuma
Site Number: #806
Date Visited: 02/19/2017
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: Fort Yuma Indian Reservation, East Imperial, CA 92283
Coordinates32.732314,-114.617684
Website: N/A

Description: Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. military post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852, it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred to the Department of the Interior and the Quechan Indian Tribe in 1884, it became a boarding school operated by the Catholic Church until 1900.