Name: Laws Narrow Gauge Railroad Station and Yard
Site Number: #953
Date Visited: 09/05/2016
Other Designation: National Historic Site (NPS-81000149)
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 395 Silver Canyon Rd, Bishop, CA 93514
Description: In 1883, the Carson & Colorado Railroad was built between Mound House (near Carson City, Nevada) through Laws to Keeler, California, a distance of 300 miles. Laws Station was named in honor of Mr. R. J. Laws, Assistant Superintendent of the railroad. Between 1883 and about 1915, this railroad provided the only dependable means of transportation in and out of Owens Valley. Train service was stopped on April 30, 1960.