Name: Fort Tejon
Site Number: #129
Date Visited: 01/17/2015
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 4427 Lebec Rd,, Lebec, CA 93243
Coordinates34.874982,-118.8929109
Website: N/A

Description: This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and protect the Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. Camels for transportation were introduced here in 1858. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important military, social, and political center – it was abandoned September 11, 1864.