Home » California » California State Historical Sites by County » Kern » #671 Site of the Town of Garlock

Name: Site of the Town of Garlock
Site Number: #671
Date Visited: 02/13/2016
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 39959 Garlock Rd, Randsburg, CA 93554
Coordinates35.4023283,-117.7904178
Website: N/A

Description: In 1896, Eugene Garlock constructed a stamp mill near this spot to crush gold ore from the Yellow Aster Mine on Rand Mountain. Known originally as Cow Wells by prospectors and freighters during the 1880s and early 1890s, the town of Garlock continued to thrive until 1898, when water was piped from here to Randsburg and the Kramer-Randsburg rail line was completed.