Site Number: #270
Date Visited: 02/14/2016
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 13147 Douglas Ave, Hanford, CA 93230
Description: Founded in 1856 by L. A. Whitmore, who operated the first ferry to cross the Kings River, Kingston became stopping place for Butterfield stages after 1858. A toll bridge superseded the ferry in 1873. On December 26, 1873, Tiburcio Vásquez and his bandit gang made a bold raid, robbing the entire village.