COUNTY HISTORY AND MAP OF COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS
The 1911 California Blue Book lists the major crops as Bartlett pears and beans. Other crops include grain, alfalfa, hay, prunes, peaches, apples, grapes and walnuts. Stockraising included goats, hogs, turkeys and dairying.
Some vineyards were planted in the 1870s by European Americans but the first in the state were established in the 18th century by Spanish missionaries. By the early 20th century, the area was earning a reputation for producing some of the world’s greatest wines. However, in 1920, national Prohibition essentially ended Lake County’s wine production. With authorized cultivation limited to sacramental purposes, most of the vineyards were ripped out and replanted with walnut and pear farms.
COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS (LIST)
#426: Site of Stone and Kelsey Home
#427: The Battle of Bloody Island
#428: Sulphur Bank Mine
#429: Lower Lake Stone Jail
#450: Stone House
#467: St. Helena Toll Road and Bull Trail
#897: Old Lake County Courthouse