NEVADA COUNTY

 

COUNTY HISTORY AND MAP OF COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS

Created in 1851, from portions of Yuba County, Nevada County was named after the mining town of Nevada City, a name derived from the term “Sierra Nevada.” The word nevada is Spanish for “snowy” or “snow-covered.”

Nevada City was the first to use the word “Nevada” in its name. In 1851 the newly formed Nevada County used the same name as the county seat. The bordering state of Nevada used the same name in 1861. The region came to life in the Gold Rush of 1849. Many historical sites remain to mark the birth of this important region in California’s formative years. Among them are the Nevada Theatre in Nevada City, the oldest theater built in California in 1865. It operates to this day and once hosted Mark Twain among other historical figures. The Old 5 Mile House stagecoach stop built in 1890, also operates to this day as a provider of hospitality spanning three centuries. This historical site still features “The stagecoach safe” that is on display outside the present day restaurant and is the source of many legends of stagecoach robbers and notorious highwaymen in the California gold rush era. The gold industry in Nevada County thrived into the post WWII days.

The county had many firsts and historic technological moments. The first long-distance telephone in the world, built in 1877 by the Ridge Telephone Company, connected French Corral with French Lake, 58 miles (93 km) away. It was operated by the Milton Mining Company from a building on this site that had been erected about 1853. The Pelton wheel, designed to power gold mines, still drives hydro-electric generators today. Nevada City and Grass Valley were among the first California towns with electric lights. The OlympicsNASA, and virtually every television station around the country utilizes video/broadcasting equipment designed and manufactured by Grass Valley Group, founded in Grass Valley.

The Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad was built in 1876, and was the only railroad in the West that was never robbed, even though its primary freight was gold. (Builder-owner John Flint Kidder‘s reputation made it clear that he would personally hunt down and kill anyone who tried.) The rail line closed in 1942 and was torn up for scrap.

In Grass Valley the historic Holbrooke Hotel opened in 1851 and housed Mark TwainBret Harte, and four U.S. presidents (Ulysses S. GrantGrover ClevelandBenjamin Harrison, and James A. Garfield).

The Community of Rough and Ready seceded from the Union for a time and became the Great Republic of Rough and Ready.


COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS (LIST)

#134: Donner Monument (or) Pioneer Monument
#247: The World’s First Long-Distance Telephone Line
#292: Home of Lola Montez
#293: Home of Lotta Crabtree
#297: Site of One of the First Discoveries of Quartz Gold in California
#298: Empire Mine
#390: Bridgeport (Nyes Crossing) Covered Bridge
#628: Alpha Hydraulic Diggins
#629: Omega Hydraulic Diggins and Townsite
#780.6: First Transcontinental Railroad -Truckee

#799: Overland Emigrant Trail
#832: south Yuba Canal Office
#834: North Star Mine Powerhouse
#852: North Bloomfield Mining and Gravel Company
#855: Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
#863: Nevada Theatre
#899: National Hotel
#914: Holbrooke Hotel
#1012: First Manufacturing Site of the Pelton Wheel