DESERT TRAINING CENTER, CALIFORNIA-ARIZONA MANEUVER AREA – CAMP PILOT KNOB


Camp Pilot Knob was a unit of the Desert Training Center, established by General George S. Patton, Jr., to prepare American troops for battle during World War II. It was the largest military training ground ever to exist. At the peak of activity here at Pilot Knob, June-December, 1943, the 85th Infantry Division, and the 36th and 44th Reconnaissance Squadrons of the 11th (Mechanized) Cavalry trained here for roles in the liberation of Europe, 1944-45.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (985)
Visited: 02/19/2017
LocationMap
Websitewww.generalpattonmuseum.com