CAMPSITE OF EDWARD M. KERN
Near this spot at the confluence of the north and south forks of the Kern River, the Theodore Talbot party of Captain John C. Frémont’s third expedition to the West camped for several weeks during December 1845 and January 1846. Frémont named the river in honor of Edward M. Kern, topographer for the expedition – Kern County was established in 1866.
Located to the northwest of here, Isabella, a ranching and mining town, was named by Steven Barton in 1893, after Queen Isabella of Spain, Patron of Christopher Columbus. A post office was established here in 1896. In 1953 the community was moved a short distance south to the present location.