CARPINTERIA AND INDIAN VILLAGE OF MISHOPSHNOW


The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of the monument. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá’s soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter’s Shop.

Designation:
Gaspar de Portola Expedition
• State Historical Site (535)
Visited: 07/29/2015
LocationMap
Websitewww.capinteriahistoricalmuseum.org