FORT GUNNYBAGS


This is the site of the headquarters of the Vigilance Committee of 1856. On June 21, 1856, Judge David S. Terry was arrested and confined in a cell. The committee, fearing that his friends might attempt to rescue him, decided to fortify the building with gunnysacks filled with sand. 

Designation:
• State Historical Site (90)
Visited: 05/04/2016
LocationMap
Website: N/A