The county of Fresno was formed in 1856 after the California Gold Rush. It was named for the abundant ash trees lining the San Joaquin River.
County residents voted to move the county seat from Millerton to Fresno. When the Friant Dam was completed in 1944, the site of Millerton became inundated by the waters of Millerton Lake. In extreme droughts, when the reservoir shrinks, ruins of the original county seat can still be seen.
|Name||National Landmark||State Landmark||Point of Interest||Other Designation|
|Arroyo De Cantua||N/A||344||N/A||N/A|
|Fort Miller||N/A||584||N/A||State Park|
|Site of First Junior College in California||N/A||803||N/A||N/A|
|Site of the Fresno Free Speech Fight of the Industrial Workers of the World||73000427||873||N/A||N/A|
|Forestiere Underground Gardens||77000293||916||N/A||N/A|
|Temporary Detention Camps for Japanese-Americans Fresno Assembly Center||N/A||934||N/A||N/A|
|Temporary Detention Camps for Japanese-Americans Pinedale Assembly Center||N/A||934||N/A||N/A|
|Millertown Courthouse||N/A||N/A||Point of Interest||N/A|