History and Map
Inyo County was formed in 1866 from the territory of the unorganized Coso County created on April 4, 1864 from parts of Mono and Tulare Counties. It acquired more territory from Mono County in 1870 and Kern County and San Bernardino County in 1872.
The name came to be thought of, mistakenly, as the name of the mountains to the east of the Owens Valley when the first whites there asked the local Paiutes what the name of the mountains to the east was.
Inyo was the name of the headman of the Panamint band of Paiute-Shoshone people at the time of contact when the first whites, the Manly expedition of 1849, wandered, lost, into Death Valley on their expedition to the gold fields of western California. The Owens Valley whites misunderstood the local Paiute and thought that Inyo was the name of the mountains when actually it was the name of the chief, of the tribe that had those mountains as part of their homeland.
In order to provide water needs for the growing City of Los Angeles, water was diverted from the Owens River into the Los Angeles Aqueduct in 1913. The Owens River Valley cultures and environments changed substantially. From the 1910s to 1930s the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power purchased much of the valley for water rights and control. In 1941 the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power extended the Los Angeles Aqueduct system further upriver into the Mono Basin.
State Historical Landmarks
#208: San Francis Ranch
#209: Site of Bend City
#211: Mayfield Canyon Battleground
#223: Site of Putnam’s Cabin
#229: Mary Austin’s Home
#230: First Permanent White Habitation in Owens Valley
#349: Camp Independence
#441: Burned Wagon Point
#442: Death Valley Gateway
#443: Valley Wells
#444: Bennett-Arcane Long Camp
#507: Grave of 1872 Earthquake Victims
#537: Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns
#752: Furnace of the Owens Lake Silver-Lead Company
#773: Old Harmony Borax Works
#796: Farley’s Olancha Mill Site
#811: Bishop Creek Battleground
#826: Old Stovepipe Wells
#848: Eichbaum Toll Road
#850: Manzanar Relocation Center
#953: Laws Narrow Gauge Railroad Station and Yard