JULIAN


Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Batley laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia, Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable. Since then the area has become more famous for the variety and quality of its apple crop.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (412)
Visited: 10/24/2015
LocationMap
Websitewww.visitjulian.com



DE LUCA HOUSE
Location
Map
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

Frank Antonio De Luca, Italian immigrant, naturalized 1872 at Memphis, TN. and wife, Florence, created this small house, typical of Julian, in 1897 from a studless rough plank cabin built in 1893 by miner C.L. Barnett. De Luca came here in 1889, age 42, and became a leading merchant, grubstaker of gold miners and an astute trader in land. He, other businessmen and farmers organized the first apple day celebration Oct. 9, 1909. Childless Florence retired to San Diego when Frank died in 1925, age 77. She died there in 1945, age 90.


DE LUCA STORE
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

Frank De Luca, Italian immigrant, built this general store featuring fresh produce. A cold spring, struck in the excavation, spawned a cellar saloon. Julian voted dry in 1902 under local option law. The popular saloon thereafter sold only “cider, tonic and medicine.” De Luca was accused, at the urging of the anti saloon league, of illegally selling “spiritous liquors.” He was acquitted by sympathetic jurymen. He sold out and retired in 1912. This building has continuously housed a grocery store for more than 100 years.


EAGLE GOLD MINE AND IDA B. WELLINGTON
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

The Eagle Gold Mine located April 5, 1870 (39 Chains Due East). This marker placed in memorial for Mrs. Ida B. Wellington, May 25 1887 to December 1962, Historian – Humanitarian, Daughter of Drury Bailey who homesteaded land established the township of Julian in 1870.


EAGLE MINING COMPANY
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark
Websitewww.theeaglemining.com

The Eagle and High Peak Mines were part of a gold rush in the region that saw around 200 gold mines established in a single year at the conclusion of the Civil War. Former confederate soldiers, freed slaves, and other Georgians traveled west, looking for new opportunities. The concentration of mines in this mountainous section of Southern California, 60 miles north-east of Sand Diego, lead to the establishment of modern Julian, California by Mike Julian and his cousins, the Baileys.


FRARY HOUSE
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

Almon Phineas Frary, Jr. and his bride, Elizabeth, assembled this small house, typical of Julian, by joining Al’s miner’s cabin to an abandoned one-room school house on the site of the dismantled Overland Hotel & Saloon and Julian’s second town hall. Almon, born c.1855 Placer County, came here in the 1870 gold rush and, with his father, developed the rich Stonewall Mine. He worked every major Julian mine, owning the Ella and Eagle. Childless “Frary,” 86, died 1940: Al 88, 1943, lifelong promoters of the Julian Mining District.


HONORING BLACK PIONEERS OF JULIAN
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

33 of the 55 black residents listed in the 1880 U.S. Census for San Diego County, lived in the Julian area. First to find gold was Fred Coleman in 1869. A creek, mining camp and a toll road bear his name. Albert Robinson and wife Margaret founded the Hotel Robinson, now the Julian Hotel. America Newton, a laundress, owned 80 AC. adjacent to the grade that bears her name. The four black pioneers buried in the Julian Cemetery are Albert Robinson, America Newton, Susan Tull – Margaret’s mother and Margaret’s daughter, Martha Boyd.


HOSKINGS RENTAL
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

A mining & ranching town, many Julian people could not afford to buy a home on $3.00/10 hr. day. This rental, typical of many here, provided 564 sq. ft., four rooms, kerosene lamps, woodstove, hand dug well and privy for $6.00 to $12.00/ month. It was built with salvaged lumber from Cuyamaca City, the abandoned town at the depleted Stonewall gold mine. Landlord George Hoskings, orphaned child of early Julian innkeepers, parlayed an inheritance from bachelor foster father, Thomas Daily, into vast land holdings including 56 town lots.


HOTEL ROBINSON
(Julian Hotel)
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark
• National Historic Site (78000747)

Albert Robinson and Margaret Tull Robinson started, in 1887, a business originally named the Robinson Restaurant and Bakery. The business quickly became popular during the relatively brief gold rush that Julian experienced. Their hotel, which is still in operation, is the oldest continuing operating hotel in Southern California. The original hotel was constructed in 1897, with the bakery-restaurant structure razed to make room for the hotel. During construction, Albert planted cedar and locust trees around the hotel, which survive to the present day. The hotel has remained in business for over a hundred years and has repeatedly been expanded and improved, with air conditioning being a major new improvement added in the 21st Century. The historically restored 16-room building is currently known as the Julian Gold Rush Hotel. Albert was a former slave who came to Julian with his former slave owner. During the gold rush days of Julian, most of San Diego County’s African-Americans lived in remote Julian, rather than the city of San Diego. Another influential black pioneer of the time, and a friend of the Robinsons, was America Newton, also a former slave and laundress during the town’s gold rush days. Albert and Margaret met in Julian, Albert being employed at the time as a cook. They were married in the late 1880s. Albert died on June 10, 1915. Margaret sold the hotel in 1921.


JACOBY BUILDING
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

The original general store, with outside walls covered in pressed tin to simulate brick, was built by F.L. Blanc carpenter and minister, for Morris and Rosa Jacoby. It burned to the ground in Aug. 1996 and was rebuilt as a near replica of the original. Morris, a native of Germany, came to Julian with his family in 1892 and was in the mercantile business for many years. He helped organize the Santa Ysabel Water Co., was active in the Gardiner Blue Hill mines and Julian’s holiday celebrations. Morris 50, died in 1905.


JULIAN PIONEER MUSEUM
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

In 1888, blacksmith, Joseph Treshil, bought the property from Drury Bailey holder of homestead patent (signed by Pres. Grover Cleveland). The building, with walls two feet thick made of shist & adobe, served as a blacksmith shop. Peter Mayrhoffer, in 1891, leased & used it as a brewery. In 1899 a “smithy” Christian Grosskopf bought & returned it to a blacksmith shop. He died in 1941. Restoration of the crumbling ruins began in late 1940’s by the Julian Women’s Club & local civic groups. The museum opened to the public in 1952.


LEVI-MARKS STORE
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

This brick building, first in the back-country, was built using 100,000 bricks from Ike Levi’s Julian kiln for Adolph Levi, Austrian emigrant, and his partner Joseph Marks, native Mississippian. Dis-solution of the partnership made Marks the sole owner of the new building. Except for a lease to Rudy Levi and Jake Noah, Marks housed his Julian mercantile herein until he retired in 1921. This remaining example of several early Julian brick buildings has housed a valuable community service without interruption for more than 100 years.


SANTA YSABEL SCHOOL
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

Built at Witch Creek, ten miles west of Julian in 1888 and used thru June 1954. this historical building was moved to Julian in 1970, and restored by the Julian Historical Society, the County of San Diego, and many other donors.


WHEELBARROW ODOMETER SURVEY OF 1894
Location
Map
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

Wheelbarrow Odometer Survey of 1894, from May 5th to December 29th 28194, Porter Perrin Wheaton, a civil and mining engineer, measured 2328 miles of county roads. His wheelbarrow with odometer, clinometer, and compass made the first survey unique. From his data was prepared the first coordinated surveyor’s map of San Diego County, completed in 1900.


WILCOX BUILDING
LocationMap
Designation:
• Julian Historical Landmark

This building of hand hewn beam logs cut from Volcan Mtn. was a general store, post office, a stage coach stop, and telephone exchange, owned by story telling Horace F. Wilcox, president of the “Hot Stove Society” – a gathering of men who spun yarns and solved world problems, retiring in 1891, he sold the business to M. Jacoby & Fred R. Sawday who advertised “first class goods at reasonable prices and square dealing with politeness thrown in.” F.L. Blanc minister, carpenter & lumberman ran a mercantile store here from 1907 – 1920.