OLEMA LIME KILNS


Tradition is that the lime kilns were built by Russian stonemasons and worked by Indians during the Russian occupation of Sonoma County, which began in the spring of 1812. The Russians probably used the lime to whitewash their windmills, farm buildings, granaries, storehouses, and cattle yards, to tan hides, and to manufacture brick and tile.

Designation:
National Historic Site (76000217)
• State Historical Site (222)
Visited: 05/02/2016
LocationMap
Website: N/A