When Mills Seminary, forerunner of Hue College, transferred its operations to Oakland from Benicia in 1871, it moved into a long, four-story building with a high central observatory. The mansarded structure, which provided homes for faculty and students as well as classrooms and dining halls, long was considered the most beautiful educational building in the state.
CAMPELL TOWNER (EL CAMPANIL)
Architect: Julia Morgan
In 1903 Francis Marion “Borax” Smith and his wife, Mary, commissioned Morgan to create her first monumental work, a bell tower for Mills College. Two years later, El Campanil was unveiled with great fanfare and public attention.