MISSION SAN LUIS REY DE FRANCIA
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuén, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyrí, Mission San Luís Rey is notable for its impressive architecture-a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican.
SAN LUIS REY PIONEER CEMETERY
The cemetery was placed in use in 1869, its first sad burial being that of a one year-old girl. Its very existence arose out of a need for a burial site for non-Catholics, as they were excluded from burial in the Mission Cemetery. The land was donated by a local property owner for use as a public burial ground, and the deed was passed on to the San Luis Rey school district as the only active governmental entity in the area. When the Oceanside School District absorbed that district around 1950, it also assumed responsibility for the cemetery. Its maintenance is clearly not a priority for the district.