HISTORY and MAP
Mono County was formed in 1861 from parts of Calaveras, Fresno and Mariposa counties. Parts of the county’s territory were given to Inyo County in 1866.
The county is named after Mono Lake which, in 1852, was named for a Native American Paiute tribe, the Mono people, who historically inhabited the Sierra Nevada from north of Mono Lake to Owens Lake. The tribe’s western neighbors, the Yokut, called them monachie, meaning “fly people” because they used fly larvae as their chief food staple and trading article.
Archeologists know almost nothing about the first inhabitants of the county, as little material evidence has been found from them. The Kuzedika, a band of Paiute, had been there many generations by the time the first anglophones arrived. The Kuzedika were hunter-gatherers and their language is a part of the Shoshone language.