History and Map
Created in 1851, from portions of Yuba County, Nevada County was named after the mining town of Nevada City.
The region came to life in the Gold Rush of 1849. The gold industry in Nevada County thrived into the post WWII days.
The county had many historic technological moments. The first long-distance telephone in the world, the Pelton wheel designed to power gold mines, and Nevada City and Grass Valley were among the first California towns with electric lights.
The Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad was built in 1876, and was the only railroad in the West that was never robbed, even though its primary freight was gold. (Builder-owner John Flint Kidder’s reputation made it clear that he would personally hunt down and kill anyone who tried).
In Grass Valley the historic Holbrooke Hotel opened in 1851 and housed Mark Twain, Bret Harte, and four U.S. presidents (Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, and James A. Garfield).
State Historical Landmarks
#134: Donner Monument (or) Pioneer Monument
#247: The World’s First Long-Distance Telephone Line
#292: Home of Lola Montez
#293: Home of Lotta Crabtree
#297: Site of One of the First Discoveries of Quartz Gold in California
#298: Empire Mine
#390: Bridgeport (Nyes Crossing) Covered Bridge
#628: Alpha Hydraulic Diggins
#629: Omega Hydraulic Diggins and Townsite
#780.6: First Transcontinental Railroad -Truckee
#799: Overland Emigrant Trail
#832: south Yuba Canal Office
#834: North Star Mine Powerhouse
#852: North Bloomfield Mining and Gravel Company
#855: Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
#863: Nevada Theatre
#899: National Hotel
#914: Holbrooke Hotel
#1012: First Manufacturing Site of the Pelton Wheel