OAKVILLE GROCERY STORE AND JOHN GARNER HOUSE
The Oakville Grocery stood in 1874 where it stands today: near the center of a one-acre square abutting the main north/south county road (now Highway 29) and an east/west road, now the Oakville Crossroad. Immediately to the north of the store in 1874 was a large, elegant, two-story house. Its original owner appears to have been a wheat farmer named John Garner. He sold the one acre, including the house, to a fellow wheat farmer, Carroll W. Ish in 1875. Ish and his wife Mary had eight children and would have needed the space. The Ishes and a chain of other families have lived in that house over the years. It, too, is still there and is now an interactive museum highlighting the history of the Napa Valley and its signature industry: premium wine.