OLD HARMONY BORAX WORKS
In 1881 Aaron Winters discovered borax on the marsh near this point. He later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco, who built the Harmony Borax Works in 1882 and commissioned his superintendent, J. W. S. Perry, to design wagons and locate a suitable route to Mojave. The work of gathering the ore (called ‘cottonball’) was done by Chinese workmen. From this point, 20-mule teams transported the processed borax 165 miles to the railroad until 1889.