OLD LANDING


On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated ‘Newport’-a new port-by James Irvine, Benjamin Flint, James McFadden, and Robert McFadden. The McFaddens operated a regular shipping service here during the 1870s and 1880s.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (198)
Visited: 09/26/2015
LocationMap
Website: N/A