PIONEER HOUSE OF THE MOTHER COLONY


Anaheim’s first house, built in 1857 by Founder George Hanson. ‘The Mother Colony,’ a German group that left San Francisco to form a grape-growing colony in Southern California, selected the name given to this settlement. The vineyards, which became the largest in California, were destroyed by disease in 1885. The colony then started producing Valencia oranges. Here once resided actress Helena Modjeska and Henryk Sienkiewicz, author of Quo Vadis.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (201)
Visited: 09/27/2015
LocationMap
Websitewww.anaheim.net