PLAZA, SAN DIEGO VIEJO

(Washington Square)


This plaza was established as the center of the Mexican Pueblo of San Diego which elected its first ajuntamiento in 1834. On July 29, 1846, at 4 p.m., Lieutenant Stephen C. Rowan, U.S.N., from the U.S. sloop-of-war Cyane, raised the American flag over the plaza.

Designation:
State Historical Park
• State Historical Site (63)
Visited: 12/14/2014
LocationMap
Website: N/A