PRESIDIO OF SONOMA and SONOMA BARRACKS
Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by General M. G. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a ‘California Republic’ and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson’s Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.
The two-story, wide-balconied, adobe barracks facing Sonoma’s central plaza was built to house Mexican army troops under the command of General Vallejo. These troops first arrived in Sonoma in 1834 when Vallejo, then the Commandant of the Presidio at San Francisco, was instructed to move his garrison to Sonoma. From then until 1846, Sonoma was the headquarters of the commandant of the Frontera del Norte – the Mexican provincial frontier of the north. Actual construction of the adobe barracks building probably took place in stages, but was more or less completed in 1840 and ’41.