RANCHO SAN ANTONIO (PERALTA GRANT)
Governor Pablo de Sola, last Spanish governor of California, recognized the forty years’ service of Don Luís María Peralta by awarding him the 43,000-acre San Antonio Grant on August 3, 1820. From this point northward, the grant embraced the sites of the cities of San Leandro, Oakland, Alameda, Emeryville, Piedmont, Berkeley, and Albany.
MEMORIAL TO PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS
The Gold Rush drew the Portuguese. When gold failed many Portuguese moved to San Leandro. Gradually they joined with former Portuguese shore whalers to farm the fields. San Leandro became a principal landing place for newly arrived Portuguese immigrants and by 1911 the Portuguese comprised over two-thirds of the city’s population. The Portuguese Immigrant monument commemorates the journey of Portuguese settlers.