SISKIYOU


HISTORY and MAP

Siskiyou County was created on March 22, 1852, from parts of Shasta and Klamath Counties, and named after the Siskiyou mountain range.

After the discovery of an important gold strike near today’s Yreka, California in 1851, prospectors flooded the area.

In the mid 1880s, the construction of the Central Pacific Railroad along the Siskiyou Trail brought the a first wave of tourism. Visitors were drawn by the county’s many summer resorts, and to hunt or fish in the largely untouched region.


STATE DESIGNATED HISTORIC LANDMARKS

#9: Captain Jack’s Stronghold
#13: Guillem’s Graveyard
#110: Canby’s Cross – 1873
#317: Site of Fort Jones
#396: Strawberry Valley Stage Station
#517: Emigrant Trail Crossing of Present Highway
#901: West Miner Street – Third Street Historic District, Yreka