SITE OF ORIGINAL MISSION DOLORES CHAPEL AND DOLORES LAGOON


On June 29, 1776, Father Fancisco Palou, a member of the Anza Expedition, had a brushwood shelter built here on the edge of a now vanished lake, Lago de los Dolores (Lake of the Sorrows), and offered the first mass. The first mission was a log and thatch structure dedicated on October 9, 1776 when the necessary church documents arrived. The present Mission Dolores was dedicated in 1791.

Designation:
• Juan Bautista de Anza Historic Trail
• State Historical Site (327.1)
Visited: 05/03/2016
LocationMap
Website: N/A