SITE OF PORT LOS ANGELES LONG WHARF


In 1893 the Southern Pacific Railroad Company completed its 4,720-foot wharf, which served as a deep water port for the Los Angeles area. But after San Pedro became Los Angeles’s official harbor in 1897, shipping activity at Port Los Angeles declined and the wharf was finally dismantled. Today, no trace remains of what was once the longest wooden pier in the world.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (881)
Visited: 05/24/2015
LocationMap
Website: N/A