ST. HELENA HISTORIC COMMERCIAL DISTRICT
The St. Helena Historic Commercial District gives a strong sense of the city’s downtown just after the end of World War II. The district is especially notable for its collection of native stone commercial buildings, although it contains examples of other construction materials as well. The district’s 48 elements, all but one of which are buildings, were constructed during the past 130 years. They are arrayed along Main Street and adjacent streets in downtown St. Helena. Nearly all are in retail use, though some have auxiliary uses as well. The district includes 35 elements that contribute to its historic character and 13 that do not contribute. The integrity of the district is high due to the concentration of resources, the size and importance of the contributors, and the inconspicuousness of non-contributors.
WILLIAM TELL HOTEL AND SALOON
• National Historic Site (82002217)
The William Tell was named by Swiss brothers Arnold and Henry Dado in 1897, and takes its name from the Swiss folk hero and marksman attributed to the foundation of the Swiss Confederacy. While the details of the bar’s origins remain somewhat hazy, the building was founded in the late 1800s as a hotel and saloon and was operated by the Dado brothers for a few years.