THE ZANJA


Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch, or ‘zanja,’ in 1819-20. It supported the San Bernardino Asistencia, the Rancho San Bernardino, then pioneer ranches and orchards and finally Redlands’ domestic water supply.

Designation:
• National Historic Site (77000329)
• State Historical Site (43)
Visited: 03/08/2015
LocationMap
Website: N/A