TRAIL OF THE JOHN C. FREMONT 1884 EXPEDITION


Site of the first major gold rush to the eastern slope of California’s Sierra Nevada, Dog Town derived its name from a popular miners’ term for camps with huts or hovels. Ruins lying close to the cliff bordering Dog Town Creek are all that remain of the makeshift dwellings which formed part of the ‘diggins’ here.

Designation:
• State Historical Site (995.1)
Visited: 11/13/2014
LocationMap
Website: N/A