VENTURA


History and Map

In October 1542, Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo anchored in an inlet near Point Mugu.

On March 31, 1782, the Mission San Buenaventura was founded by Father Serra.

In 1822, California was notified of Mexico’s independence from Spain and the Governor of California, the Junta, the military in Monterey and the priests and neophytes at Mission San Buenaventura swore allegiance to Mexico on April 11, 1822. California land that had been vested in the King of Spain was now owned by the nation of Mexico.

In January of 1847, Captain John C. Frémont led the California Battalion into San Buenaventura. Fremont and the Battalion continued south to sign the Treaty of Cahuenga with General Andrés Pico. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo formally transferred California to the United States in 1848.

In the early hours of the morning of March 12–13, 1928, the St. Francis Dam collapsed, sending nearly 12,500 million US gallons of water rushing through the Santa Clarita Valley killing as many as 600 people, destroying 1,240 homes and flooding 7,900 acres of land, devastating farm fields and orchards. This was the largest single disaster to strike Ventura County and the second largest, in terms of lives lost, in the state.


State Historical Landmarks