42nd PRECINCT / TOWN HALL POLICE STATION


The 42nd Precinct/Town Hall Police Station, located in Chicago’s Lake View community area, is one of the oldest and most architecturally significant extant historic police station buildings in Chicago. It was constructed in 1907 on the site of Lake View Township’s Town Hall and subsequently has been commonly referred to as the “Town Hall Police Station.” Only three older police station buildings are extant in Chicago.The 42nd Precinct/Town Hall Police Station also is significant as a finely-designed Classical Revival-style police station. Distinguished by its symmetrical facade arrangement, classically-inspired ornament, and distinctive copper cornice, this well-preserved police station exemplifies the influence of Classicism on the architecture of government and public buildings in Chicago in the early twentieth century.

Designation:
National Historic Site (12001236)
Visited: 03/29/2017
LocationMap
Website: www.chicago.gov