FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT HOME and STUDIO
Wright began his original small residence in 1889 shortly after his marriage to to Catherin Tobin with a $5,000 loan from Louis Sullivan. In 1895 he added a two-story polygonal bay on the south side containing a new dining room on the ground floor and an enlarged bedroom above. He also added a two-story structure on the rear of the house consisting of a new kitchen and maid’s room on the ground floor and the splendid barrel-vaulted ceiling children’s playroom. Adjourning the house on the north side in 1898 Wright designed a studio consisting of a low entrance pavilion connecting to an octagonal library and two-story drafting room. Wright remodeled the house as a rental unit and remodeled the studio into living space for his family in 1911.