SITE OF FORT DEARBORN
Non-native settlement of Chicago remained sparse until after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, when Fort Dearborn was built on the south side of the Chicago River, across from the cabin of early settler Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable. The fort, which was named for U.S. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn, served as the country’s major western military garrison until August 1812, when it was destroyed following an Indian uprising. A second fort, erected on the same site in 1816, was demolished in 1856.
• Chicago Landmark