Site Number: #757
Date Visited: 02/13/2016
Other Designation: None
Plaque Status: Private Plaque
Location: 27750 Caliente Bodfish Rd., Caliente, CA 93518
Description: Originally known as Allen’s Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named Caliente when railroad construction reached this point in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for about 16 months while a force of up to three thousand men, most of them Chinese, labored on the heavy railroad construction on the mountain.