The Manor was built between 1734 and 1737 by Joshua Blanchard for the wealthy merchant Thomas Hancock (1703–1764). It was the first house to be erected on the top of Beacon Hill west of the summit and stood alone with no westward neighbor until around 1768. The Hancock Manor’s demolition spurred a historic preservation movement that would help save buildings like the Old South Meeting House, the Old State House and the Hancock-Clarke House within the next few decades. An 18″ x 21″ bronze plaque, located on the iron wall below the State House’s marble west wing, indicates the mansion’s former location. It reads: “Here stood the residence of John Hancock, a prominent and patriotic Merchant of Boston, the first Signer of the Declaration of American Independence, and First Governor of Massachusetts, under the State Constitution.”

• City of Boston Landmark
Historic American Buildings Survey (MA-1321)
• Point of Interest
Visited: 10/23/2016
Website: N/A