COPP’S HILL BURYING GROUND
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground was the second burying ground established in Boston, in 1660. It is near the Old North Church, and is about three acres in dimension. It was originally called the North Burying Place. The oldest part of the cemetery is on the northeast side of the Hull Street entrance. There are many quaint epitaphs, some of which are illegible from age. Several famous people are buried at Copp’s Hill. Edmund Hartt, builder of the frigate U.S.S. Constitution, is buried here. The Reverend Doctors Increase and Cotton Mather (Salem Witch hysteria), are buried here. There was also a small section that was reserved for African-American slaves and free Black persons near Snowhill Street.