FLOUR AND GRAIN EXCHANGE
Originally a meeting hall for the Boston Chamber of Commerce, the Exchange was built on land donated by streetcar magnate Henry M. Whitney and completed in 1892. Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge designed the tiered arches and rock-faced masonry which exemplify the Romanesque Revival style of H.H. Richardson. The sturdy walls and elaborate design reflect an expression of financial security appropriate to the city’s commercial circles. The exterior was restored by The Beal Companies in 1988.