THE OLD CORNER BOOKSTORE
The oldest commercial building in Boston, the Old Corner Bookstore was built in 1718 as an apothecary shop and home on property that once belonged to Puritan dissident Anne Hutchinson. The Old Corner Bookstore was the center of American book publishing in the mid-1800s when Boston was the country’s literary mecca. From this place, publishers Ticknor and Fields produced the works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Greenleaf Whittier, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr., and Louisa May Alcott, many of whom were frequent visitors to the building. During the bookstore’s heyday, the corner of School and Washington Streets came to be known as “Parnassus Corner,” a reference to the mountain home of the nine muses of Greek mythology.
• City of Boston Landmark