The Down Town Association in the City of New York, usually referred to as the Down Town Association, is a private club in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City. Located at 60 Pine Street, between William and Pearl Streets, it is the fifth oldest of all existing New York private clubs, and was the first formed in lower Manhattan. The organizational meeting which resulted in the formation of the Association was held at the Astor House on December 23, 1859. The first general meeting of the Association was held on February 14, 1860, and a charter was granted by an act of the legislature of the State of New York on April 17, 1860. The Romanesque Revival Clubhouse, a New York City landmark since 1997, was designed by Charles C. Haight, a member of the Association, and was opened on May 23, 1887. Land, building and furnishings cost $306,669.25. The clubhouse is the oldest clubhouse in New York built for and still occupied by its members, and is the second such oldest – behind the Hope Club of Providence – in the United States. The membership has included the political and business elite of New York, including Franklin D. Roosevelt until his death in 1945, Grover Cleveland, Thomas E. Dewey, the 47th governor of New York, Wendell Willkie, the lawyer businessman who ran for President in 1940, William Donovan, first director of the Office of Strategic Services, and Gherardi Davis, the lawyer, author and politician who served as president and bequeathed the Club his large collection of silver cutlery and other items. Membership has also included four secretaries of state, including John Foster Dulles, five Attorneys General, one Secretary of Defense and two Secretaries of War. Two members have served as Ambassador to the Court of St. James and one member each as Ambassador to Switzerland, Luxembourg and Thailand. Of note, two of the men who ran against Roosevelt for President of the United States were also members of the Association.