Stone Street is one of New York’s oldest streets. It was originally known by its Dutch name, Hoogh Straet (High Street). In 1632, the Dutch West India Company built the first commercial brewery in North America there. Around 1656, Hoogh Straet was shifted about twenty to twenty-five feet to align it with Brouwer Street, the extension of Hoogh Straet west of the Gracht (later, Broad Street), and which in 1658 became the first paved street in Nieuw Amsterdam. Following the British conquest of the colony, the name Hoogh Straet was translated to High Street, and then called Duke Street, for the Duke of York during most of the 18th century. Leveled in 1771 and surveyed in 1790, it was renamed Stone Street in 1794 because of its cobblestone paving, as New Yorkers abandoned reminders of British rule. The street’s stores and lofts were built for dry-goods merchants and importers, shortly after the Great Fire of 1835, which destroyed many remnants of New Amsterdam. The India House historic landmark is located at the Hanover Square end of the street.
• Historic District